- Does life overwhelm you?
- Have you been accused of being too sensitive?
- Do you go through life feeling like a human sponge who deeply takes in everything around you?
- Are you acutely aware of and sensitive to the moods and problems of others?
- Do you wonder why you feel agitated in a crowded environment?
- Are you in need of a lot of alone time to decompress from your daily activities?
If so, you are not alone! In fact, you may be a Highly Sensitive Person (HSP). About 15-20% of the population are considered to be highly sensitive.
What is High Sensitivity?
According to Dr. Elaine Aron, being a Highly Sensitive Person (HSP) is an inherited trait that is characterized by an overactive nervous system. HSPs process and absorb more emotional and physical information than average, making them abnormally overwhelmed.
Being an HSP isn’t a flaw. It’s actually a genetic character trait that can be used to your advantage. Your sensitive nature equips you with important tools, such as intuition and creativity, the hunger for knowledge, and the quest to understand life on a deeper level.
Instead of feeling discouraged, you can learn to recognize and celebrate your high sensitivity as the beautiful and powerful gift that is!
Understanding High Sensitivity
The first step in thriving as an HSP is to recognize that you are one. My goal is to provide inspiration and information to highly sensitive people. I want to help you better understand the HSP trait and learn how to make the best use of your high sensitivity.