Are you concentration challenged? As a highly sensitive person, I know that I am! I’ve found that improving my concentration has helped me get more done in less time without the sense of overwhelm when I have too many things on my mind.
Below are some of the major benefits of developing your ability to focus as well as some practical tips for achieving extreme concentration.
The Benefits of Improved Concentration
(1) You’ll be more productive. By devoting your full attention to whatever you’re doing at the moment, you’ll produce better quality work in less time. It really is this simple.
(2) You’ll get more out of your conversations with others. When you focus on what another person is telling you, you’ll learn more. If another person feels that you’re listen to them, they will be more attracted to you.
(3) You’ll feel more peaceful. Many studies have found that multitasking makes people slower and less effective at performing various tasks. Trying to do too many things at once can cause stress and make you feel less alert. By contrast, focusing on one thing helps to calm your mind.
Training Your Mind To Concentrate
(1) Abandon distracting thoughts. Your highly sensitive mind will wander. Remain aware of your thoughts. When you notice a distracting thought, decline to pursue it. Return your attention to your chosen object. Repeat this as often as necessary. With practice, it will get easier.
(2) Vary your activities. It may be helpful to switch from one activity to another to remain alert. If you feel stuck doing something, do something else. You’ll feel rejuvenated when you come back to what you were doing.
(3) Plan regular breaks. Taking breaks will improve your performance. Reward yourself with an activity you enjoy after completing a difficult project. Standing up from time to time is refreshing because it helps your brain get more oxygen.
Are you concentration challenged? If so, how do you work through it? I’m interested in any thoughts or comments that you have.