Are you too trusting? I’ve been. I’m learning that I can’t trust others until they have earned my trust. It’s never a good idea to reveal too much about yourself until you’ve gained some familiarity with the other person/persons.
Why do highly sensitive people seem to be an open book too soon in professional and personal relationships? For me, I’ve been naive in thinking that everyone has honorable intentions. In the real world, this just isn’t true.
I have been accused of being an idealist. I try to see the best in everyone and everything. As highly sensitive people, it’s very easy for us to be blinded by the realities of life. Dishonest people aren’t good for anyone, but this is especially true for HSPs. We must make sure that we keep our distance from them.
Do you seem to be easy prey for “master manipulators”? These people enjoy taking advantage of your highly sensitive nature. They tell you all the good things you want to hear, and make you feel guilty for not revealing more than you want to. Don’t fall for it! Use your intuition to deal with this situation.
What are some clues of people who are trustworthy? Here are some examples:
* They treat everyone with respect. Pay attention to the way a person treats others. This is a true indicator of their character and trustworthiness.
* They don’t take more than they give. Does this person ask more from you than their willing to give? All good relationships have balance in this respect.
* Past behavior predicts future behavior. How have they treated others in the past? Do they make excuses for bad behavior?
* Are they reliable? Can you rely on what they say and do?
* Do they speak positively or negatively about others? Trustworthy people speak in positive terms.
* Are they honest about themselves? Pay attention to what they say. Is it consistent to how they really are?
Are you too trusting? How can you prevent yourself from trusting the wrong people? I’m interested in any thoughts or comments that you have.